Saturday, October 19, 2013

A poem by José Barroeta (Venezuela, 1942-2006), my translation / Un poema de JB

 
Song of Myself

I was the poet of my land
and of the whole Earth.
Inside me it rained and lightning fell
and I always felt a vast need
to cry.
I laughed at the fruit falling on the
sheds and the startling silence
and spoke with the dead and with animals going through
misery dressed as long
captains.
I was a great poet of the dead
as there was no other ever in the land
and dreaded seeing flowers rise
toward the ambiguous lime of tombs.
I dreamed
I sang a shattered melody in the night
and dreamed again among walls and lost cities
chasing shadows found amid the obstinate frenzy of the
absent and of inscrutable drunks.
I was a poet
and fell in love with me and you and all the gazes
coming from remote towns to the imagined table of the
equator
searching for stars and copper breads to curse
men
in the center of the world.
I ate scraps
stole
read the sunrise
drank and smoked until I felt
a pleasant blow to my lungs.
I believed in death and prepared
to take power in my country.
I trusted a group of mad poets
who gradually turned up from
distant
cardinal
points
incapable of quenching their desires behind a
music broken by the smell of bottles
and miserable charm.
I sang of myself and feasted myself
I earned life without doing
I wanted my reason to lose
and went with me and you to look for countryside and city
to dream and kill the parents of my parents
burn the world
and answer one day with my body at the stake
for the excesses of my vague illusion.
I fell on myself and
loved my failures.
I felt the joy of being another  
who writes poems without beginning or end
alert to the advent of death and wrecks
the poor useful kingdom of my body.

From Culpas de juglar, Cultura Universitaria-UDO.

-->
Canto a mí mismo

Yo era el poeta de mi tierra / y de toda la tierra. /
Adentro de mí llovía y relampagueaba /
y sentía siempre unas inmensas ganas /
de llorar. / Yo me reía de las frutas que caen en los /
tinglados y asustan el silencio / y hablaba con los
muertos y con los animales / que pasan por la miseria
vestidos de capitanes / largos. / Yo era un gran poeta
de los muertos / como jamás hubo otro en la comarca /
y me asustaba de ver subir las flores / hacia la cal
ambigua de las tumbas. / Soñaba / cantaba por las
noches una desgarrada melodía / y volvía a soñar
entre muros y ciudades perdidas / persiguiendo sombras
halladas entre el porfiado / frenesí de ausentes y de
borrachos insondables. / Yo era un poeta /
y me enamoraba de mí y de ti y de todas las miradas /
que vienen desde lejanos pueblos a la imaginada mesa /
del ecuador / a buscar estrellas y panes de cobre para
maldecir / hombres / en el centro del mundo. /
Comía sobras / robaba / leía el amanecer /
bebía y fumaba hasta sentir un agradable /
golpe en los pulmones. / Creía en la muerte y me
aprestaba /  a tomar el poder de mi país. / Confiaba
en un grupo de poetas locos / que fueron apareciendo
de puntos cardinales / distantes / incapaces de apagar
sus deseos detrás de una / música rota por el olor de
las botellas / y del encanto miserable. / Yo me cantaba
y me celebraba a mí mismo / ganaba la vida sin hacer /
buscaba que mi razón perdiera / y salía conmigo y contigo
a buscar campos y ciudades / para soñar y matar a los
padres de mis padres / quemar el mundo / y pagar algún día
con mi cuerpo en la hoguera / el desenfreno de mi vaga 
ilusión. / Caía sobre mí mismo / y amaba mis fracasos. /
Sentía el placer de ser otro / que escribe un poema sin principio
ni fin / alerta por si viene la muerte y revienta / mi pobre y útil
reino del cuerpo.

De Culpas de juglar, Cultura Universitaria-UDO. Pueden encontrar un ensayo sobre la poesía de Barroeda y más poemas aquí.

No comments:

Post a Comment