Thursday, November 28, 2013

A poem by Agustín Guambo (Ecuador, 1985), my translation / Un poema de AG


iii

the sky flooded with digital veins we were unhappy we were unhappy we ran waiting for ancient stars – we ran – that was beauty seeing your hair get lost hide from my hands we were unhappy but loved each other Under the Lima sky a dog pointed to the end of night and we still looked at our skins as though wanting to mutate abandonment we looked at our skins of earth that slowly eroded it was oblivion [We started to walk] Lima flared quartered and beautiful we kept looking for each other nobody told us how to forget nobody told us how to love each other never again shall we be alone Night is a scalpel to our bodies How sad is Lima after loving How sad is Lima after Lima some day we shall be eternal but tonight we're allowed to be mortal We were part of each other if someone asked me where she is where her wounds dwell I'll say smell my breath One day you will return absolute you'll come through that door that saw you off and a white noise will tell you she's dead she's now – finally – her own identity If they asked after me show them the burned nails I read that I will die in October and it fills me with satisfaction The other night I met a woman it was you or perhaps only a bird with a revelation in its plumage I'll die in October like an asthmatic dog I read A prayer pulsates in the center of the stars yesterday I met a woman who told me you don't know me and you've already killed me a prayer pulsates in the center of the wind you don't know me yet and you don't want to forget me Long hours [I see flies in a fruit loving each other] under the moon caressing the skin of rocks because they told us that this – also – was happiness Burned seagulls were the chromosomes of a tree we used to impregnate our defeat we were young we were sad we were nothing I thus learned of the madness of ants slugs' need of a bonfire burned my childhood while Lima flared quartered and beautiful that was our tenderness...


I haven't been able to find other poems by AG in English. 

iii

el cielo se inundó de venas digitales no éramos felices no éramos felices corríamos esperando ancianas estrellas –corríamos- eso era la hermosura ver tu cabello perderse esconderse de mis manos no éramos felices pero nos queríamos Bajo del cielo de Lima un perro nos indicaba el fin de la noche y aun mirábamos nuestras pieles como queriendo mutar el abandono mirábamos nuestras pieles de tierra que poco a poco se erosionaban era el olvido [Comenzamos a caminar] Lima refulgía descuartizada y hermosa seguíamos buscándonos nadie nos dijo cómo olvidarnos nadie nos dijo cómo amarnos nunca más estaremos solos La noche es un bisturí para nuestros cuerpos Que triste es Lima después de amar Que triste es Lima después de Lima algún día seremos eternos pero esta noche nos es permitido ser mortales Fuimos parte el uno del otro si alguien me preguntara dónde está ella donde habitan sus heridas diré huele mi aliento Un día volverás absoluta, entrarás por esa puerta que tantas veces te despidió y un ruido blanco te dirá ha muerto es ahora -por fin- su propia identidad Si te preguntarán por mi muéstrales las uñas quemadas Leo que moriré en octubre y eso me llena de satisfacción La otra noche conocí a una chica eras tú o quizás solo un ave con una revelación en el plumaje Moriré en octubre como un perro asmático leo Una oración palpita en el centro de las estrellas ayer conocí a una chica que me dijo no me conoces y ya me has matado, una oración palpita en el centro del viento, aún no me conoces y no quieres olvidarme Largas horas [veo moscas en una fruta que se aman] bajo la luna acariciando la piel de las rocas porque nos dijeron que eso -también- era la felicidad Gaviotas quemadas eran los cromosomas de  un árbol que usamos para impregnar nuestra derrota éramos pequeños éramos tristes éramos nada así conocí la locura de las hormigas la necesidad de las babosas una hoguera incendiaba mi infancia mientras Lima refulgía descuartizada y hermosa eso fue nuestro cariño…


Pueden encontrar este y otros poemas de AG aquí.

No comments:

Post a Comment