Thursday, May 2, 2013

Two poems by Margarita Laso (Ecuador, 1963), my translation / Dos poemas de ML




bautista grips the hair on my nape

and vanquishes

thunderous



the cord of my neck

hydraulically the jugular pumps its course

and eyelash steps brush against

my temples

like swift partridge footfalls



bellowing bucephalus
unfolds his lips

on the perpendicular rail of my spine

a bicep clamp threatens to break

my ribs

and near my mouth his nibbles

are ripe figs



seize me
          bautista
spinal rattlesnakes

dance naked

under your bracelet

and toward the hole in my clavicle

go the blush mulberries

you sip



kiss the sand on which you'll place

my back

capture the breast pistils

you blister in your horse lips

animal of flames



bautista hungry barbarian

at dawn you fall with my moaning

you will split me
              will split me
              will split me





In Queden en la lengua mis deseos




in the pole fur trappers lie in wait for the seals

having just given birth they are stripped of their young

thrashed they are captured before they reach ten days of life

before they molt their first hair



whitecoats are born on floating icebergs

from afar you can only make out

the coal circles of their black eyes

of their wet nose



with their fluffy ice fuzz
in children stories they make bootees for the clouds

but this suit and its tender flesh last nothing



tubular she-wolves

sea mothers that breastfeed howl before

the sticks but don't flee



thus is my agony



you

arctic trapper

skilled in the handling of clubs

you let me bleed

and drag my chest propelled by my short paddles

by my long bellows



at the edge of the mass of ice

you hardly want the skin of the back you thrash



in the pole



the sun sets like

an iron gate

bolts the sea      bolts the day



in the sky



no bird presumes

the cruelty of the human heart






In El trazo de las cobras Some of her poems have been published in English in Volcanic Reflections: A Bilingual Anthology of Contemporary Ecuadorian Poetry, Trafford Publishing



 
bautista empuña los cabellos de mi nuca / y la cuerda del cuello doblega /
fragoroso / hidráulica la yugular bombea su cauce / y pasos de pestañas /
rozan mis sienes / como veloces pisadas de perdices / bucéfalo bramante /
los labios despliega / sobre el riel perpendicular de mi columna / cepo de bíceps amenaza quebrarme /
las costillas / y cerca de mi boca sus mordiscos / son brevas maduras / préndeme /
bautista / crótalos vertebrales / bailan descalzos / bajo tu brazalete / y al pozo de mi clavícula /
van las moras encarnadas / que sorbes / besa la arena sobre la que pondrás /
mi espalda / captura del pecho los pistilos / que en tus belfos ampollas / animal de las llamas /

bautista bárbaro hambriento / al alba caes con mis quejas / me vas a separar /
me vas a separar / me vas a separar






en el polo los cazadores de pieles acechan a las focas / recién paridas son despojadas de sus crías /
apaleadas las capturan antes de cumplir diez días de vida / antes de perder el primer pelo /

las de capa blanca nacen sobre témpanos flotantes / desde lejos /
sólo pueden distinguirse los discos de carbón de sus ojos negros / de su nariz mojada /

con la pelusa del hielo de ellas mullida / en los cuentos infantiles se hacen escarpines para nubes /
pero este vestido y su tierna pulpa nada duran / lobas tubulares / las madres marinas que amamantan /
aúllan ante los garrotes pero no huyen / así es mi agonía / tú / pielero del ártico / hábil en el manejo de las varas /
tú permites que sangre / y arrastre el pecho impulsada por mis aletas cortas / por mi largos bramidos /

al filo de la mole de hielo / apenas quieres la piel del lomo que apaleas / en el polo/
el sol cae como una puerta de hierro / aldaba el mar aldaba el día / en el cielo/
no hay pájaro que sospeche la crueldad del corazón humano


En El trazo delas cobras, Abrapalabra


No comments:

Post a Comment