Thursday, May 16, 2013

Haruki Murakami, on characters / HM, sobre los personajes


When I make up the characters in my books, I like to observe the real people in my life. I don’t like to talk much; I like to listen to other people’s stories. I don’t decide what kind of people they are; I just try to think about what they feel, where they are going. I gather some factors from him, some factors from her. I don’t know if this is “realistic” or “unrealistic,” but for me, my characters are more real than real people. In those six or seven months that I’m writing, those people are inside me. It’s a kind of cosmos.

Please think about it this way: I have a twin brother. And when I was two years old, one of us—the other one—was kidnapped. He was brought to a faraway place and we haven’t seen each other since. I think my protagonist is him. A part of myself, but not me, and we haven’t seen each other for a long time. It’s a kind of alternative form of myself. In terms of DNA, we are the same, but our environment has been different. So our way of thinking would be different. Every time I write a book I put my feet in different shoes. Because sometimes I am tired of being myself. This way I can escape. It’s a fantasy. If you can’t have a fantasy, what’s the point of writing a book?

From an interview with John Wray. You can find the full interview here

Cuando invento los personajes de mis libros, me gusta observar a las personas reales en mi vida. No me gusta hablar mucho; me gusta escuchar lo que cuentan los demás. No decido qué clase de personas son; solo trato de pensar en lo que sienten, adónde van. Recojo algunos aspectos de él, algunos de ella. No sé si esto es "realista" o "no realista", pero para mí mis personajes son más reales que las personas reales. En esos seis o siete meses durante los cuales escribo, esas personas están dentro de mí. Es una especie de cosmos.

Piensen en ello de esta manera: tengo un hermano gemelo. Y cuando yo tenía dos años, a uno de nosotros – al otro – lo secuestraron. Se lo llevaron a un lugar lejano, y no nos hemos visto desde entonces. Pienso que mi protagonista es él: una parte de mí, pero no yo, y no nos vemos desde hace mucho tiempo. Es una suerte de forma alternativa de mí mismo. En términos de ADN, somos iguales, pero nuestro medio ambiente fue distinto. Entonces nuestra manera de pensar sería distinta. Cada vez que escribo un libro, me pongo en la piel de otro, porque a veces me canso de ser yo. Así puedo escapar. Es una fantasía, pero, si uno no puede tener una fantasía, ¿de qué sirve escribir un libro?

De una entrevista realizada por John Wray. Pueden encontrar la entrevista completa (en inglés) aquí.

No comments:

Post a Comment