Thursday, September 8, 2016

A poem by Carlos López Degregori (Peru, 1952), translated by Judith Filc / Un poema de Carlos López Degregori



Sleeping in This Box

1

I sleep in this box.

I close my eyes and fists
and crush birds
until they are an anticipation
of warm blood and feathers.
I keep my arms and legs
in this box.
I tighten my belly to fit better in it
and turn my heart off –
I wrap its beats
in gold filaments


2

I sleep in this box
or this box sleeps in me.

Between us there's a sameness of wood and flesh,
a dizziness that blurs us until we're indistinct.

I open and close this box every night
and it's as if in a melody of vertebrae
I would open and close.
I spin the iron triangle of the lock,
endlessly turn the key,
and swallow it to protect it.


3

God is looking at me in this box.
God must bring his ear next to its wooden walls
to hear me.

The lid is a sky drilled with stars,
and I don't know if I'm climbing up or down it;
inside there are velvets that bristle in my tread,
steps,
white and blind animals
that hang like tresses
and bring their loving snouts closer.

I cross chambers and woods,
jump over bolting rocks,
fly cliffs
until I find you, my wives,
with your goat heads
ramming the night.


From Una mesa en la espesura del bosque. You can find more information on CLD and listen to some of his poems in the Poetry International website.



Dormir en esta caja

1

Duermo en esta caja.

Cierro los ojos y los puños
y aprieto pájaros
hasta volverlos una anticipación
de sangre tibia y plumas.
Guardo en esta caja
mis brazos y mis piernas.
Oprimo el vientre para así caber mejor.
Apago el corazón:
envuelvo
en filamentos de oro sus latidos.


2

Duermo en esta caja
o esta caja duerme en mí.

Entre nosotros hay una igualdad de madera y carne,
un vértigo que nos confunde hasta hacernos indistinguibles.

Abro y cierro cada noche esta caja
y es como si en una música de vértebras
me abriera o me cerrara.
Giro el triángulo de hierro de la cerradura,
le doy infinitas vueltas a la llave
y luego me la trago para protegerla.


3

Dios me mira en esta caja.
Dios debe acercar sus oídos a las paredes de madera
para escucharme.

La tapa es un cielo horadado de estrellas
y no sé si bajo o subo a él:
adentro hay terciopelos que se erizan con mis pisadas,
hay peldaños,
hay blancos y ciegos animales
que cuelgan como guedejas
y acercan sus amorosos hocicos.

Yo atravieso cámaras y bosques,
salto piedras desbocadas,
vuelo riscos
hasta encontrarlas a ustedes, mis esposas,
con sus cabezas de cabra
embistiendo la noche.

De Una mesa en la espesura del bosque. Pueden leer una entrevista a CLD aquí.


No comments:

Post a Comment