Monday, September 15, 2014

A poem by Victoria Guerrero (Peru, 1971), my translation / Un poema de Victoria Guerrero

Healing
My body is an image of barrenness
Carmen Ollé
To Luz María


Sometimes I go out and say, "nobody's here," to say something, to invoke a lie, even if I stay inside, alone, looking at my navel grow under the evening. Friends come at all times. They come close to me and hug me tenderly so that my navel won't burst. I can see that they're scared every time I get up to follow the stream of my yellowish, chubby urine; that brook down which my vagina swings days and nights under a translucent body.
They all bring small things between their hands, things that can't hurt me. They want me to stay still, but that's impossible in view of so much hopelessly thrown liquid. They can't drink it. I can't drink it, it slips through my trembling fingers and I can't resign myself.
I come and go, go in and out, and they are still there, sniffing my rivulet of lies. I slam doors, I stamp my feet from my circle of water. I feel the rumor of waves incubating their screech in my belly. I choke on pills and cities and stupid weeping that strips everything of leaves and drives everything away.
Discouragingly, I simulate my own suicide. The more optimistic ones illuminate me with their horror. Finally they withdraw to leave me once again in my underground twilight.
Returned to my luminous hole, my body is a sphere, a great river that rocks over a shadow cliff. Unblinking, they sniff that rarified piece. They follow its path, gliding through an empty, initiatory room where lips, like love veils, are ripped.
Surely nobody else will return today, I say to myself. Then I pull down my pants to continue with the ritual of loss. We can't deny liquid. I would like to pee on every city to feel my trail every time I falter on a strange sidewalk. Or perhaps restrain the bitter spout until my bladder breaks bursting with its foam, and must run to feel how tides ebb and abate during the night.
Furtively, humming like a warm wave traversing the world, the small goddess of black tresses appears and with her minuscule hands pokes out on my belly, removes the mask that covers it, and, with her beautiful startled black eyes, heals me.

(Unpublished)


Sanación
Mi cuerpo es una imagen de lo estéril
Carmen Ollé
A Luz María

A veces salgo y digo: “no hay nadie”, por decir algo, por invocar una mentira, aunque yo permanezca adentro, solitaria, mirando mi ombligo crecer bajo la tarde. Los amigos vienen a cada momento. Se acercan y me abrazan suavecito para que mi ombligo no reviente. Puedo ver que tienen miedo cada vez que me levanto para seguir la corriente de mi orina amarillenta y rojiza. Ese arroyuelo por el que mi vagina se columpia días y noches bajo un cuerpo transparente.
Todos traen cosas pequeñas entre las manos, cosas que no puedan hacerme daño. Desean que permanezca inmóvil, pero es imposible ante tanto líquido que se arroja sin remedio. Ellos no lo pueden beber. Yo no lo puedo beber, se me escurre entre los dedos temblorosos y no me conformo.
Yo voy y vuelvo, entro y salgo, y ellos siguen allí husmeando mi riachuelo de mentiras. Tiro portazos, pataleo desde mi círculo de agua. Siento el murmullo de las olas incubando su chillido en mi vientre. Me atraganto de pastillas y de ciudades y de llantos estúpidos que todo lo deshojan y espantan.
Descorazonadoramente simulo mi propio suicidio. Los más optimistas me alumbran con su espanto. Al fin se retiran para dejarme otra vez en mi crepúsculo subterráneo.
Devuelta a mi agujero luminoso, mi cuerpo es una esfera, un gran río que se agita sobre un acantilado de sombras. Ellas olfatean aquel trozo enrarecido sin pestañear. Siguen su camino deslizándose por una habitación vacía, iniciática, donde se rasgan unos labios como velos del amor.
Seguramente nadie más regresará hoy, me digo. Entonces me bajo el pantalón para seguir con el ritual de la pérdida. Es imposible negar el líquido. Quisiera mear todas las ciudades para sentir mi rastro cada vez que titubeo sobre una acera extraña. O tal vez retener el amargo surtidor hasta que mi vejiga se quiebre repleta de su espuma y tenga que correr para sentir cómo bajan las mareas y se amansan por la noche.
Furtivamente, zumbando como un golpe cálido que atraviesa el mundo, aparece la diosa pequeñita de trenzas negras y con sus manos diminutas se asoma sobre mi vientre, extrae la máscara que lo cubre y con sus hermosos ojos negros sorprendidos me sana.

(Inédito)


No comments:

Post a Comment