Thursday, May 4, 2017

A poem by Yolanda Pantin (Venezuela, 1954), translated by Judith Filc / Un poema de Yolanda Pantin


Sometimes

I don't know where I am,
like this evening in Caracas.

I hear the rain
while Dennys says to me,

‘It was like this during the landslide.’

I’ve never seen rain
such as this. The sound

on the tin roof over the deck,
where we're chatting,
plunges me into the terror of dreaming,
which happens with age. I don't sleep.

I go to Turmero,

to my parents' place. I stare,
along with my siblings, at the flowing waters
splashed by passing cars,
immense waves, they seem to us,
rising over the sidewalks.

It's the water that runs down
the shaded avenues
in these parts, in Caracas,
when the downpour
intensifies.

I'm in a garden
the way gardens used to be,
like the one around Los Castaños
in Chacao; I enter the room
where Malle is waiting
to harbor us
in an extraordinary world.

But Dennys insists, "It's the light of that evening."

I start laughing,
for everything seems to be falling on us:
the sky, and The Avila. I feel panic. Sometimes
I get up at night, and in the midst of disaster
I can't tell where I am. It's hard to lift
the sticky membrane
joining realities. It seems the same
to be asleep or awake.

I see a thick, bent back
calmly relieving itself.
I hear the story of a broken
man, and women in
their wanting to say, next to their children.

But I open my eyes and go to the kitchen,
and in the fridge I see Jimena's efforts
for tomorrow's lunch at the bank,
and, Efraín's lunchbox, like every night,
open next to the sink. These are the things
that humanly comfort me,
like seeing Loqui asleep on the sofa.

Behind the doors,
in the passageway,
the sound of the fans.
I'm soothed by the metallic scratch
of the blades, which I clearly perceive
in the early hours.

I think of Ana, like you,
in her sleepless lucidity.

I can’t put my mind to anything.

I hear the voice of the official:
That's what they should be like – non-conformist.
How cynical his argument, short
and clean like the blade
of a knife.

Yesterday, for instance, Carlos
told me a fable.

It tells the story of a young maiden
who transforms the tower where she lives
with her ghosts into a bridge
over the abyss.

Sometimes I find myself
in the thick of a swamp.

Late, in the night.



In País. Poesía reunida 1981-2011, Pre-textos. You can find several reviews of the book (in Spanish) here.


A veces

no sé dónde estoy,
como esta tarde en Caracas.

Escucho llover
cuando Dennys me dice:

‘Así fue en el deslave’.

Llueve de tal forma
como nunca lo había visto. El ruido

sobre el techo de metal, en la terraza,
donde estamos conversando,
me hunde en los terrores del sueño,
como pasa con los años. No duermo.

Voy a Turmero,

a la casa de mis padres. Miro
con mis hermanos el fluir de las aguas
que levantan los autos cuando pasan,
creando olas inmensas, nos parecen,
por sobre las aceras.

Es el agua que igual baja
por las avenidas umbrosas
de esta parte, en Caracas,
cuando arrecia
el aguacero.

Estoy en un jardín
como eran los de antes,
y el que rodeaba la quinta Los Castaños,
en Chacao. Entro en el cuarto
donde Malle nos espera
dándonos lugar
en un mundo extraordinario.

Pero Dennys insiste: "es la luz de esa tarde."

Yo me echo a reír
ya que todo parece caer sobre nosotros:
el cielo, y el Ávila. Siento pánico. A veces
me levanto en la noche, y en medio del desastre,
no se dónde estoy. Me cuesta retirar
la membrana pegajosa
que aúna las realidades. Así, parece igual
estar dormida que despierta.

Veo una espalda gruesa, inclinada,
mientras se desahoga con calma.
Escucho el relato de un hombre
quebrado
y a mujeres en su querer decir, junto a sus hijos.

Pero abro los ojos y voy a la cocina,
y en la nevera miro los afanes de Jimena
para el almuerzo de mañana en el banco,
y como todas las noches, la lonchera de Efraín,
abierta, junto al fregadero. Son las cosas
que de una forma humana me consuelan,
como ver sobre el sofá dormir a Loqui.


Escucho detrás de las puertas
en el pasadizo
el ruido de los ventiladores.
Me apacigua el roce metálico
que hacen las aspas y percibo
nítido en la madrugada.

Pienso en Ana, como tú,
en su lucidez insomne.

Yo no tengo cabeza.

Escucho la voz del funcionario:
Así deben ser: disconformes. Qué cinismo
el de su argumentación, es limpia
y corta igual
que la hoja de un cuchillo.

Ayer, por ejemplo, Carlos
me contó una fábula:

Cuenta la historia de una doncella
que convierte la torre donde vive
con sus fantasmas, en un puente
tendido sobre el abismo.

A veces me encuentro
en medio de un pantano.

Tarde, en la noche.


En País. Poesía reunida 1981-2011, Pre-textos. Pueden encontrar varias reseñas del libro aquí. 

No comments:

Post a Comment