Thursday, December 5, 2013

Two poems by Héctor Viel Temperley (Argentina, 1933-1987), my translation / Dos poemas de HVT


There Are Some Quiet Willows

Some willows have been
quiet, like me,
since hours ago.

But like the leaves of an elm
 joined to the elm as if
by a thread
and yet
all the light of the elm
they are shaken and shine
as soon as the air blows.

Neither touching with its leaves
nor bothering anyone,
a single elm trembles and dances
for man and willows,
quiet since hours ago.


Salt

I once ran my tongue
over the salt
of a shoe.
Over the salt
of a shoe
the propellers
slash me.

Now I want
only for the sea
to be the sea,
only for its salt
to be salt.
For it not to be too small for me.

The beaches I walk on,
the bones I collect
like strikingly white propellers
to be too big for me.

The innocent eyes
of the little
sea lion
to be too big for me,
as they are vast.

(And never again
a bird to perch on
my breast
to announce that
the sea exists
in a shoe.)

From Humanae vitae mia. His last two books were translated into English and published under the title The Last Books of Héctor Viel Temperley.



Hay unos sauces quietos

Hay unos sauces quietos / como yo, /
desde hace horas. // Pero como las hojas
de un olmo / - como por un hilo /
unidas al olmo / y, sin embargo, /
toda la luz del olmo - / se conmueven y
brillan / en cuanto sopla el aire. //
Sin tocar con sus hojas / ni molestar a
nadie, / un único olmo se estremece y
baila / por el hombre y los sauces, /
quietos desde hace horas.


La sal

Pasé una vez la lengua / por la sal /
de un zapato. / Por la sal /
de un zapato / me partieron /
las hélices. // Ahora quiero /
que solo el mar / sea el mar, /
solo su sal / la sal. /
Que no me quede chica. // Me queden
grandes / las playas que camino,
los huesos que recojo / como hélices
blanquísimas. / Los ojos inocentes /
del pequeño / elefante marino /
me queden grandes, / porque son inmensos. //
(Y nunca más / se pare un pájaro /
en mi pecho / para avisar / que el mar
existe / en un zapato.)

De Humanae vitae mia. Ediciones del Dock publicó su obra completa. Pueden encontrar una reseña de Mario Arteca aquí.

No comments:

Post a Comment