Tuesday, June 21, 2016

Clarice Lispector on writing / CL sobre la escritura

Everything I write here is forged in my silence and in the semi-darkness. I see very little; I hear almost nothing. I finally sink into myself to reach the matrix of the spirit residing in me. My source is dark. I write because I don't know what to do with myself. That is, I don't know what to do with my spirit. The body informs a lot, but I don't know the laws of the spirit; it drifts. My thoughts, with the uttering of words that spring mentally without my speaking or writing them afterwards, that thought of mine made of words is preceded by an instantaneous, wordless, vision of thoughts, and words will come almost immediately with a spatial difference of less than a millimeter. Before thinking, then, I have already thought. I expect that the composer of a symphony only has the "thought before thoughts" and, is it something more than an atmosphere what is seen in that swift, mute idea? No. Actually, it is an atmosphere that, already colored by the symbol, makes me feel the air of the atmosphere where everything originates. It is premeditated in black and white. Thoughts with words have other colors. Premeditation happens before the instant. Premeditation is the immediate past of the instant. Meditating is materializing what was premeditated. Actually, premeditation is what guides us, because it's intricately tied to my mute unconsciousness. Premeditation is not rational; it's almost virginal.

From Un soplo de vida. Pulsaciones. Siruela. You can find the full text in Portuguese here.


Todo lo que aquí escribo está forjado en mi silencio y en la penumbra. Veo poco, casi nada oigo. Me sumerjo por fin en mí hasta la matriz del espíritu que me habita. Mi fuente es oscura. Estoy escribiendo porque no sé qué hacer de mí. Es decir: no sé qué hacer con mi espíritu. El cuerpo informa mucho. Pero yo desconozco las leyes del espíritu: él divaga. A mi pensamiento, con la enunciación de las palabras que brotan mentalmente, sin yo hablar o escribir después, a ese mi pensamiento de palabras lo precede una visión instantánea, sin palabras, del pensamiento, palabra que vendrá casi inmediatamente, con una diferencia espacial de menos de un milímetro. Antes de pensar, pues, ya he pensado. Supongo que el compositor de una sinfonía tiene solamente el «pensamiento antes del pensamiento» y ¿es algo más que una atmósfera lo que se ve en esa rauda idea muda? No. En realidad es una atmósfera que, coloreada ya por el símbolo, me hace sentir el aire de la atmósfera de donde todo viene. Se premedita en blanco y negro. El pensamiento con palabras tiene otros colores. La premeditación es antes del instante. La premeditación es el pasado inmediato del instante. Meditar es concreción, materialización de lo que se premeditó. En realidad premeditar es lo que nos guía, pues está íntimamente ligado a mi inconsciencia muda. Premeditar no es racional. Es casi virgen.

De Un soplo de vida. Pulsaciones. Siruela. Pueden leer el texto completo en portugués aquí.



No comments:

Post a Comment