Tuesday, May 17, 2016

Three poems by Denise León (Argentina, 1974), translated by Judith Filc / Tres poemas de DL


I abide by the secret laws of the dead. I will find him.
I will find him. I look at the wall, and the shadows grow
endlessly like fingers. It was summer.
I work nonstop. It was summer and my mother said,
Don't take off your shoes. Even the tiny pins are widows
in this hat shop and abide by the secret laws of the dead.
I will find him. Each of the equal parts into which
the day is divided my heart tightens while
the scissors whisper as if praying.
Forward. Backward. The fingers follow the thread.
The thread follows the fingers. The fingers follow the eyes.
The eyes abide by the secret laws of the dead.
This is my price. I will find him.
Since the rooster crowed my flesh and bones
have been rock; the time of departure hides in my
lips, docile, like bitches.

From Poemas de EstambulYou can find translations of several poems from this book (including another version of this one) here.

We're children
and my brother
forces me
to watch
documentaries
about animal life
on TV.
An ant
can
carry
eighty times
its weight.
A flower;
a leaf;
a piece
of cracker;
the endless
mechanism
of your dead.

And when I have already
left the house
behind,
there they are;
still burning
like a small fire
to which I turn my back.
There is something of
the blue in them.
They glow
in the windy
evenings
while I
deal
with minor issues.

From Poemas de Middlebury. You can find more information about the book, in Spanish, here.


yo acato las leyes secretas de los muertos. Voy a encontrarlo.
Voy a encontrarlo. Voy a encontrarlo. Miro hacia
la pared y las sombras se agigantan como dedos. Era verano.
Trabajo sin parar. Era verano y mi madre me dijo no
te quites los zapatos. Hasta las alfilercitas son viudas en
esta sombrerería y acatan las leyes secretas de los muertos.
Voy a encontrarlo. Cada una de las partes iguales en
las que se divide el día seme aprieta el corazón mientras
las tijeras murmuran como si estuvieran rezando.
Adelante. Atrás. Los dedos siguen al hilo. El hilo sigue los
dedos. Los dedos siguen los ojos. Los ojos acatan las leyes
secretas de los muertos. Este es mi precio. Voy a encontrarlo.
Desde que el gallo ha cantado mi carne y mis huesos
son piedra: la hora de la partida se esconde en mis
labios – mansos – como perras.

De Poemas de Estambul

Somos chicos
y mi hermano
me obliga
a mirar
en la tele
documentales
sobre la vida animal.
Una hormiga
puede
cargar
ochenta veces
su peso.
Una flor;
una hoja;
un pedazo
de galleta;
la interminable
maquinaria
de tus muertos.


Y cuando ya
me he alejado
de la casa,
ahí están:
todavía ardiendo
como un fuego pequeño
al que le doy la espalda.
Tienen algo
de azul.
Brillan
en las tardes
ventosas
mientras me ocupo
de asuntos
menores.

De Poemas de Middlebury. Pueden encontrar más información sobre el libro aquí.

No comments:

Post a Comment