Thursday, April 18, 2013

Max Frisch, on how to write about emotions / MF, sobre cómo describir emociones


I have very strong feelings but I don’t like to describe them. There are other ways to show them—body language, or silence—that can be very strong. And maybe, too, one has a distrust of words; one fears that they won’t be interpreted correctly. It’s very difficult to describe a feeling and not to lie a little bit, to put it on a higher level or to blind yourself. So I don’t trust myself to describe my feelings, but I like to show them by a piece of art. And as a reader I’m the same, I don’t like it if the author tells me what I have to feel. He has to urge the reader to get a feeling of shame or of hope. So there’s a lot of feeling, there’s a lot of emotion, but . . . not expressed in words. 

We have learned a lot from movies about what can be expressed without words. I would be proud or happy if a reader could feel the essential situation of, say, the man in Man in the Holocene, to feel how it is to be wet in your pants, how it’s getting colder, the feeling of growing tired, of melancholy or despair. That you get without using all those words. That you feel sensually and see with your eyes. I want to give that, or I try, anyway.

From the interview with Jodi Daynard published by The Paris Review. You can read the full interview here.

Tengo sentimientos muy fuertes, pero no me gusta describirlos. Hay otras maneras de mostrarlos el lenguaje corporal o el silencio – que pueden ser muy fuertes. Y quizá, también, uno tiene cierta desconfianza de las palabras: uno teme que no sean interpretadas correctamente. Es muy difícil describir un sentimiento sin mentir un poco: para ponerlo en un nivel más alto, o para cegarnos. Por eso no me fío de mi capacidad para describir mis sentimientos, pero me gusta mostrarlos a través de una obra de arte. Y como lector soy igual; no me gusta que un autor me diga lo que debo sentir. Tiene que exhortar al lector a sentir vergüenza o esperanza. De este modo, hay mucho sentimiento, mucha emoción, pero... no se expresa en palabras.

(...)

Aprendimos mucho en el cine acerca de lo que se puede expresar sin palabras. Yo me sentiría orgulloso o feliz si un lector pudiera sentir la realidad esencial de, digamos, el hombre de Hombre en el Holoceno: sentir lo que significa hacerse pis encima, cómo va haciendo más frío, la sensación de estar cada vez más cansado, de melancolía o desesperación. Eso lo podés conseguir sin usar todas esas palabras. Eso lo vivís sensorialmente y lo ves con los ojos. Yo quiero brindar eso, o intentarlo, al menos.

De la entrevista realizada por Jodi Daynard y publicada por The Paris Review. Pueden leer la entrevista entera aquí.

No comments:

Post a Comment